If a child under 12 years old is abused → a parent or guardian must file the restraining order paperwork on behalf of the child; if the child is 12 or older they can file the restraining order paperwork on their own. You are eligible to request a domestic violence restraining order against someone who has:

  • Abused you or threatened to abuse you (physical or emotional); and
  • You have a close relationship with the person (married or registered domestic partners, divorced, separated, dating or used to date, have a child together, or live together or used to live together), or you are closely related (parent, child, brother, sister, grandmother, grandfather, in-law).

This page only explains how to file a domestic violence restraining order in California. We also provide information on how to file a civil harassment restraining order, a workplace violence restraining order and an elder abuse restraining order.

Fill Out the Proper Documents

Form DV-100 → this form provides the judge with the details of your particular circumstances, and what you are asking the court to do.

Form DV-109 → this form will tell both you and the party you are seeking to restrain when to come to court for the hearing.

Form DV-110 → this form asks the court to grant a temporary restraining order to protect you from domestic violence before the hearing. At the hearing, the judge will either cancel the temporary order or convert it to a permanent order.

If children are involved you also need to include the following forms:

  • Form DV-105, and attach it to Form DV-100 → this form allows you to request that the judge decides custody and visitation while you wait for your hearing date.
  • Form DV-140 and attach to Form DV-110 → this is the court order regarding child custody and visitation.
  • Form DV-108 → this form allows you to request that the children do not leave the State of California.

If you are requesting child support you need to check Item 13 on Form DV-100) and you need to include either:

If you are requesting spousal, partner, or family support: You need to include: Form FL-150 and attach to Form DV-100.

Submit the Documents to the Court

  • Take the forms to the clerk.
  • You will receive your hearing date.
  • Deliver the Documents to the Other Side.

Serve a copy of your restraining order documents.

You also need to include BLANK copies of:

You can request that the Sheriff serves the domestic violence restraining order documents on the other party.

The documents must be served by the deadline the judge writes on your documents – Form DV-109, page 2, item 5.

File a Proof of Service

The person who served the documents must fill out Form DV-200.

If the person is not properly served→request continuance (a delay in the hearing date):

  • Form DV-115 → this form requests a delay in the hearing date because you were unable to serve the other party with the paperwork in time.
  • Form DV-116 → this form provides a new hearing date.
  • Give filed Form DV-116 to local police.

Restrained Person’s Response

The other party must, after being served with your restraining order paperwork, file and serve you with a response. This response is Form DV-120.

The Hearing

If the domestic violence restraining order is granted → you must serve a Form DV-130 on the other party.

If the other party is at the hearing, you can serve Form DV-130 by mail after the hearing.

If the other party is not at the hearing, but judge’s orders are the same as the temporary order, you can serve copy Form DV-130 by mail.

If the other party is not at the hearing, and the judge’s orders are different from the temporary order, you must personally serve Form DV-130.

If child custody and visitation is an issue:

  • The parties are usually sent to a free Mediation first to help agree on a parenting plan.
  • If paternity of your child with the restrained person has not been legally determined, and you and the restrained person agree to parentage → enter a judgment via  Form DV-180 to avoid a separate case.

How to Fight a Domestic Violence Restraining Order

If someone is trying to obtain a Domestic Violence Restraining Order against you, they need to serve you with the following forms:

  • Form DV-100  – this form has all the details of the restraining order and what is being alleged against you. Read this form carefully because it tells you what you are and are not allowed to do.
  • Form DV-109 – this form tells you the date, time, and place of the court hearing.
  • A blank copy of Form DV-120.
  • You need to read the forms that the other party filed with the court and served on you to find out exactly what they are alleging. Then fill out the Form DV-120 with your response. You need to respond with provable facts that dispute what is being alleged against you. Then file the form with the court and mail it to the other party.

Attach any documents that help with your case to the hearing. If there are any witnesses, get their statements in writing or bring them to court with you. If you have any photographs, a police report or any other evidence, make sure to attach them to your response and to bring it to the hearing. At the hearing, the judge will decide whether or not the restraining order should be granted against you.

Attorney’s Fees in Domestic Violence Restraining Order Cases

The “prevailing party” in a domestic violence restraining order matter can collect attorney’s fees if they were represented by an attorney.  In order for the petitioner (the protected person) to be considered the prevailing party, either some or all of the orders requested by the petitioner must be issued by the judge. For the restrained person (the respondent) to be considered the prevailing party, the entire matter must be dismissed, with no orders issued by the judge against respondent.  

Because in family law cases, attorney’s fees are determined in part by the financial situation of both sides, the side that thinks they may be entitled to attorney’s fees must file an Income and Expense Declaration, Form FL-150 with the court and serve it on the other side before the hearing date. This is usually done together with the Petition or the Response. If one side does not file the Income and Expense Declaration, the judge will not award attorney’s fees to that party. If the prevailing party files the Income and Expense declaration on time, they can seek to recover attorney’s fees by filing a motion with the court. The motion must be filed within 60 days of the hearing. This time may be reduced by the judge when the ruling on the restraining order petition is made.

In cases where the petitioner is victorious on some or all of the orders requested, and has filed a motion for attorney’s fees within 60 days of the hearing, the judge must first examine whether or not the Petitioner has the ability to pay their attorney. If the Income and Expense Declaration of Petitioner is properly filled out and shows little to no disposable income, the petitioner has a good chance of showing an inability to pay. The judge will then consider each sides’ ability to pay. Assuming the respondent is opposing the motion for attorney’s fees, the respondent will also have filed the Income and Expense Declaration, and the judge will be able to compare the declaration of each side and determine how to allocate the attorney’s fees.

The judge can order the losing Respondent to pay a portion of the Petitioner’s attorney’s fees or the entire amount. The court can also decide that the respondent does not have the financial ability to pay any portion of the fees, and despite the fact that the petitioner won the case, refuse to award any attorney’s fees whatsoever. When the respondent is the prevailing party, judges generally use an approach similar to the one described above.